Thursday, February 14, 2008

First Solo "Flying Podcast"


Yesterday I assembled a "20dB attenuator" audio cable to interface between the Aerobat's headphone jack and my iRiver T30 mp3 recorder shown here. Yesterday's flight was primarily a preparation flight for my checkride but I did enjoy experimenting with an audio podcast recording! My cable design worked so well I wish I had made this during my early flight training so as to have an audio record of each lesson. Those early lessons are extremely "busy" times for a beginning pilot. Basically you're operating at the brink of mental-housekeeping overload. Anyway...click on the link below to hear a snippet of Your's Truly flying back into Austin-Bergstrom Class-C controlled airspace. You can hear my exchanges with ATC (air traffic control) as I make my way towards the approach end of runway 17L. My LightSpeed noise-cancelling headphones (and mic) worked really well to supress the horrendous cockpit noise experienced in the Cessna Aerobat.

Click here to hear my audio recording

If you are interested in making your own audio cable just leave me a comment and I'll try to follow up. The cable parts cost is about $10 if you are handy with a soldering iron. If you are not sure about which end of a soldering iron you should be holding then you can buy a cable from http://www.barnstormeraudio.com/ Their stuff is reasonably priced and works well.

-Charlie

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You can also get your recording from

http://liveatc.net/

They archive freq of KAUS for 30 days :)

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you send me the instructions for the cable you made? thanks.
cingraham@llbean.com

7:19 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Hey Charlie. Could you email directions to make your audio cable? Thanks. shane.torgerson@gmail.com

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you send me instructions to build the attenuating cable?
Thanks
noahcarroll@juno.com

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home